Twitter can easily teach people about social movements: Study
Washington: Micro blogging site Twitter can easily teach people about social movements such as Occupy Wall Street and even entice them to participate, a new study has revealed.
Benjamin Gleason reports in the journal American Behavioral Scientist reports in the journal American Behavioral Scientist that Twitter can actually be a better source of information than traditional news sources and online search engines.
According to the study by Michigan State University academic, people tend to follow people they already agree with and like, and that includes news sources.
Believing that following MSNBC or CNN or Fox News on Twitter, and following a bunch of other people who side politically with those news outlets, leads to being more informed is not documented anywhere outside humanities scholars writing papers.
But if people follow an event rather than specific sources, they may get more insight, if they click on the sources.
Gleason, who has been following Occupy Wall Street Twitter posts, compiled a database of tweets, documenting whether each tweet linked to a photograph, video or website, to figure out how users specifically learned from them.
Users can "tag" tweets for grouping with a preceding "#" symbol, or hashtag. Gleason said tweets tagged "#OWS," for # Occupy Wall Street, contained a wide range of information about the movement.
Gleason said the research offers `powerful implications for formal and informal educational settings, the most critical being that using Twitter can complement formal teaching and learning.`
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata