Twitter reinstates access to `blasphemous` accounts in Pakistan
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: Popular microbloging site Twitter has reinstated access to dozens of user accounts and specific tweets in Pakistan that it had blocked last month on the request of the government.
According to Chilling Effect Clearinghouse website, an organization devoted to protecting legal online activity, Twitter was asked by the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority last month to withhold the content that was considered as “blasphemous” or “unethical”.
“On May 18, we made an initial decision to withhold content in Pakistan based on information provided to us by the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority,” it said.
Twitter said it had now dropped the ban because the watchdog had not followed up its initial requests with further documentation.
“We have re-examined the requests and, in the absence of additional clarifying information from Pakistani authorities, have determined that restoration of the previously withheld content is warranted. The content is now available again in Pakistan.”
Twitter said that consistent with its long standing policies, it provided notice to all of the affected account holders and published the actioned take down requests on Chilling Effects to maximise transparency regarding its decision.
Pakistan Telecommunication Authority officials earlier confirmed that the watchdog regularly sends advisories for blocking objectionable materials.
In 2012, YouTube was banned in Pakistan for posting a film which was termed as blasphemous, triggering widespread riots.
Earlier, Facebook also blocked some accounts including progressive Laal music band, after Pakistan complained about the contents.
However, the blockade on Laal was lifted in days after severe criticism by music lovers and social activists in Pakistan.
Twitter introduced the ability to selectively block tweets on a country-by-country basis in 2012 - a move criticised at the time by freedom-of-speech organisations.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das