Twitter says problems in blocking; govt firm on stand
New Delhi: Twitter has conveyed that it was facing technical difficulties in blocking certain webpages where morphed and inflammatory images were uploaded but the government made it clear that the social networking site has to withdraw them or face punitive action.
Facing a directive to block the offending webpages immediately, Twitter conveyed to Department of Electronics and Information Technology that it was facing technical problems in withdrawing them and sought time to do it.
Government officials said Twitter`s reply could be a time buying ploy and they were in the process of telling the networking site to respond in clear terms whether they would be able to block those (around 28) webpages or not.
"We are not ruling out," an official said when asked whether Twitter was buying time.
Hardening their stand, officials said the government wants the webpages to be blocked and it was Twitter`s responsibility how to do it.
It they do not do that, they will have to face action, they stressed.
Meanwhile, a Home Ministry spokesperson refuted reports that Twitter accounts of some people were blocked, saying security agencies wanted withdrawal of those webpages where offending images and videos were uploaded.
"Government is not blocking any individual Twitter account," he said.
The government had already ordered blocking of 310 webpages where morphed and inflammatory contents were uploaded with the aim to incite Muslims in India leading to the mass exodus of people of the northeastern region from places in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.
Meanwhile, Union Home Secretary R K Singh and Director of Intelligence Bureau Nehchal Sandhu met Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal and discussed with him issues like internal security threat coming from the telecom and IT sector and how to deal with them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks