Twitter sees new record during Euro 2012 final
Warsaw: Twitter says its users fired off more than 15,000 tweets per second when Spain made its fourth goal in European Championship final, setting a new sports-related record on the social networking site.
The surge in tweets came just weeks before the Olympic Games in London are expected to spur more record-setting activity on social networking sites from tweets to postings of photos and other material.
Twitter said it registered a total of 16.5 million tweets worldwide during the soccer match yesterday in Kiev, where Spain defeated Italy 4-0. It said total global traffic on its platform peaked at 15,358 tweets per second as Spain made its fourth goal, a new record for a sporting event.
As fans increasingly use social media to connect during major sports competitions, new "tweet per second" records are constantly being set.
Twitter registered a peak of 12,233 tweets per second during the final three minutes of the Super Bowl in February.
An earlier record was set during the final match of the 2011 Women`s World Cup, a match in Germany that saw 7,196 tweets per second, including 13 from President Barack Obama.
In that game, Japan`s team defeated the US on penalty kicks following a 2-2 draw.
Among those who tweeted yesterday was Pele, the retired Brazilian star. He congratulated Spain and said he was looking forward to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics