Twitter sees new record during Euro 2012 final
Warsaw: Twitter says its users fired off more than 15,000 tweets per second when Spain made its fourth goal in European Championship final, setting a new sports-related record on the social networking site.
The surge in tweets came just weeks before the Olympic Games in London are expected to spur more record-setting activity on social networking sites from tweets to postings of photos and other material.
Twitter said it registered a total of 16.5 million tweets worldwide during the soccer match yesterday in Kiev, where Spain defeated Italy 4-0. It said total global traffic on its platform peaked at 15,358 tweets per second as Spain made its fourth goal, a new record for a sporting event.
As fans increasingly use social media to connect during major sports competitions, new "tweet per second" records are constantly being set.
Twitter registered a peak of 12,233 tweets per second during the final three minutes of the Super Bowl in February.
An earlier record was set during the final match of the 2011 Women`s World Cup, a match in Germany that saw 7,196 tweets per second, including 13 from President Barack Obama.
In that game, Japan`s team defeated the US on penalty kicks following a 2-2 draw.
Among those who tweeted yesterday was Pele, the retired Brazilian star. He congratulated Spain and said he was looking forward to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara