Twitter shortens tweets to only 177 characters over security concerns
London: Micro blogging platform Twitter has asked it members to use fewer characters to express themselves.
Previously, including a web link cut the number of characters available in each tweet from the full 140 to 120.
Now when Twitter members want to share a URL there are only 118 left in which to add commentary.
If the website being linked to uses the more secure "https" protocol , there are now only 117 characters, where previously there were 119, the Telegraph reports.
The change was announced to web developers in December, but has been implemented now.
When members post a link, Twitter automatically "wraps" it in another link beginning t.co, even when another URL-shortening service such as bit.ly is used.
According to the paper, Twitter said that this process allows it to protect the service from malicious websites that might spread computer viruses and track the most popular links being shared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai