Twitter shortens tweets to only 177 characters over security concerns
London: Micro blogging platform Twitter has asked it members to use fewer characters to express themselves.
Previously, including a web link cut the number of characters available in each tweet from the full 140 to 120.
Now when Twitter members want to share a URL there are only 118 left in which to add commentary.
If the website being linked to uses the more secure "https" protocol , there are now only 117 characters, where previously there were 119, the Telegraph reports.
The change was announced to web developers in December, but has been implemented now.
When members post a link, Twitter automatically "wraps" it in another link beginning t.co, even when another URL-shortening service such as bit.ly is used.
According to the paper, Twitter said that this process allows it to protect the service from malicious websites that might spread computer viruses and track the most popular links being shared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand