Twitter to introduce in-stream ads for users` timelines
New York: Twitter is all set to team up with a host of marketers, such as Starbucks, Virgin and Best Buy, to introduce in-stream ads to its users` timelines.
The move was met with consternation by some Twitter fans, who are used to the social media service`s being a commercial-free environment.
While Twitter said in April it would begin serving up ad messages that it termed, "Promoted Tweets," those promotions have been extremely discreet and only show up when a consumer searches on a phrase like "coffee shops."
These ads appear in the series of scrolling updates from Twitter users, though they will be relevant to user`s interests, the company said, reports the New York Post.
Twitter is growing by leaps and bounds but, like Facebook, is still trying to figure out the most appropriate way to draw advertisers into the mix.
Last month, Twitter`s CEO, Evan Williams, swapped places with COO Dick Costolo in order to give the reins to someone with more management expertise.
In August, the company also brought on a chief revenue officer, Adam Bain, who joined from News Corp., parent of The Post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Rahul Gandhi on three-day visit to Amethi from Wednesday
- ChampOne C1 at Rs 501: Know how to register; flash sale starts on Friday
- Philippines stops issuing haj passports to Muslim pilgrims
- Strong typhoon Lionrock heads for Japan's northeast
- RIP Gene Wilder: Celebs mourns loss of 'funniest and sweetest energies ever'