Twitter will block six fake PM accounts
New Delhi: Social networking site Twitter has agreed to block six fake accounts which were "misrepresenting" Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, officials said Thursday.
Twitter has around 16 million accounts in India.
"Twitter has agreed to block the six fake PM accounts. They responded to our complaint saying we need to follow an internal channel to lodge a formal complaint in the matter," the prime minister`s communications adviser, Pankaj Pachauri, told IANS.
"We have forwarded their communication to the ministry of communications and IT for necessary action," Pachauri said.
"We had earlier complained through email to the six fake twitter accounts individually," he said.
According to Pachauri, a person behind one of the accounts PM0India wrote back saying he had changed the name of his twitter account to thehinduexpress, which proved that some people were up to some mischief on the social networking site.
The official said the fact that the government got just six accounts out of 16 million blocked for misrepresenting the prime minister shows New Delhi did not favour a blanket ban on Twitter.
Some of the fake Twitter accounts misrepresenting the prime minister included @Indian_pm, @PMOIndiaa, @dryumyumsingh, @PM0India.
Officials said the source of these fake accounts could be outside the country.
Opening the prime minister`s twitter account was Pachauri`s brainchild to reach out to the community through new media after he joined the PMO early this year.
Over the past few days, the government has also blocked around 300 web sites which it blamed for spreading rumours that sparked an exodus of people from the northeast from Bangalore and Chennai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win