U`khand floods: Google lauches app to trace missing persons
Mumbai: Search engine giant Google has launched an application "Person Finder" to offer information on missing people in flood-affected areas in the country, including Uttarakhand.
Google Person Finder is a web application that allows individuals to post and search for the status of relatives or friends affected by a disaster, Google said in blogpost.
The Google Person Finder for 2013 Uttrakhand Floods is available at:
"Since last week, the state of Uttarakhand in India has been grappling with severe floods. Given that most of these areas in the state are highly inaccessible with intermittent communication, Google Crisis team bring you the Person Finder," the blog post by Jayanth Mysore, Google APAC Senior Product Manager, said.
The tool can help trace the missing people in flood-affected regions of Uttarakhand and is available in Hindi and English, it added.
All data entered into Google Person Finder is available to the public and searchable by anyone.
The programme also lets press agencies, non-governmental agencies and others contribute to the database and receive updates by using the Person Finder API based on the PFIF open standard.
Flash floods and landslides triggered by the monsoon fury left over 150 dead in calamity-hit Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, while thousands of pilgrims and locals are being rescued from various districts, including Rudraprayag and Chamoli.
50,000 people are still said to be stranded in various parts of Uttarakhand that was hit by cloudburst and floods. The calamity has ruined thousands of homes, rest houses and buildings.
The official death toll still stood at 150, but Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna said the casualties could run into several hundreds which will be known only when areas become accessible and water recedes.
The state government`s disaster mitigation and management centre had in the morning said that the causalities could run into thousands with about 90 dharamshalas (rest houses for pilgrims) swept away in the flash floods.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends