US online piracy bill comes under fire
Mumbai: Wikipedia website founder Jimmy Wales, who recently visited Mumbai, criticised the Hollywood-backed US legislation Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), calling it "the greatest threat to the internet" at the London Cyberspace Conference today.
"The greatest threat to the internet is misguided and over-reaching government policy. Communities such as the users of Wikipedia were finding effective ways of policing
themselves, without government involvement," he said.
SOPA, which was introduced last month in the US House of Representatives at the behest of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and other large content holders, is designed to make allegedly pirated websites virtually disappear from the Internet.
Incidentally, the MPAA has posted promos on YouTube to plead its case.
The statement came shortly after Internet companies like Google, eBAy, AOL, Facebook, Yahoo, Zynga, LinkedIn, Mozilla and Twitter ran full-page advertisements in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and Washington Times, as part of their efforts to fight back against the SOPA.
The European Parliament has also severely criticized SOPA and the proposed use of domain name seizures by US authorities on so-called copyright infringing websites.
The EU parliament has adopted, by a large majority, a resolution that "stresses the need to protect the integrity of the global Internet and freedom of communication by refraining
from unilateral measures to revoke IP addresses or domain names".
Industry veterans like Eric Schmidt, executive chairman of Google, said the bills like SOPA and Protect IP Act would give copyright holders and the US government, powers
to cut off websites unreasonably. They could be shut down, and search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo could be stopped from linking to them, he said.
"The solutions are draconian. There`s a bill that would require Internet service providers to remove universal resource locators from the Web, which is also known as censorship, the last time I checked," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27