`US target of massive cyber-espionage from China`
Washington: The United States is the target of a massive, sustained cyber-espionage campaign that is threatening the country`s economic competitiveness, a new intelligence assessment has concluded.
A report by the National Intelligence Estimate identified China as the country most aggressively seeking to penetrate the computer systems of American businesses and institutions.
They aim to gain access to data that could be used for economic gain, the report said.
According to English daily, the report described a wide range of sectors that have been the focus of hacking over the past five years, including energy, finance, information technology, aerospace and automotives.
The assessment does not quantify the financial impact of the espionage, but outside experts have estimated it in the tens of billions of dollars, the paper said.
According to the paper, the National Intelligence Estimate named three other countries, Russia, Israel and France, as having engaged in hacking for economic intelligence.
The National Intelligence Estimate comes at a time when the U.S. government is making a concerted effort to develop policies that address cyberthreats against the nation, the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price