`US target of massive cyber-espionage from China`
Washington: The United States is the target of a massive, sustained cyber-espionage campaign that is threatening the country`s economic competitiveness, a new intelligence assessment has concluded.
A report by the National Intelligence Estimate identified China as the country most aggressively seeking to penetrate the computer systems of American businesses and institutions.
They aim to gain access to data that could be used for economic gain, the report said.
According to English daily, the report described a wide range of sectors that have been the focus of hacking over the past five years, including energy, finance, information technology, aerospace and automotives.
The assessment does not quantify the financial impact of the espionage, but outside experts have estimated it in the tens of billions of dollars, the paper said.
According to the paper, the National Intelligence Estimate named three other countries, Russia, Israel and France, as having engaged in hacking for economic intelligence.
The National Intelligence Estimate comes at a time when the U.S. government is making a concerted effort to develop policies that address cyberthreats against the nation, the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement