Web industry officials fear `expanding domains` could cause `widespread disruption` on net
Washington: Web industry officials have reportedly said that the plan of expanding the existing domains and the addition of a number of new domains is likely to cause `widespread disruption` to internet operations.
According to the Washington Post, industry officials said that the addition of the new domains like `.buy`, `.casino` and `.gay` would have a possible impact on the Internet`s global infrastructure, which relies on interactions among computer networks owned by companies, universities and individual users.
Experts said that the expansion of domains would lead to possible `name collisions` when domains used by internal corporate computer systems such as `.corp` or `.home` get assigned to the Web more broadly causing systems to fail, blocking access to e-mail or other internal programs, and also could open sensitive information to theft.
Chief security officer for Verisign , Danny McPherson said that the expansion could affect a million enterprises and could absolutely break things.
According to the report, web experts believe that the nonprofit group the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), that oversees the designation of Web addresses, has not done enough study on the impact of the new domain names and does not have procedures in place to respond quickly if systems malfunction.
Chief security officer for ICANN, Jeffrey Moss said that such fears are overblown and the potential problems have been long understood and will be resolved before new domains adding that the new domains will be released gradually and is not doing going to harm the security or stability of the Internet.
The report added that by summer`s end, the new domains could be going live at a pace of 20 or more each week and just bidding for a domain costs 185,000 dollars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees