When it comes to your internet presence be yourself
Berlin: Waltzing around in a bikini or showing yourself up as a stumbling drunk are not recommended when it comes to internet profiles.
However, it also isn`t necessary to present yourself as a go-getter or someone who is as quiet as a mouse.
Instead, the objective should be "to emphasise your individuality," Birgit Kimmel of Klicksafe.de explained to the German Press Agency dpa.
Of course, images can be cheeky or brash but they shouldn`t be revealing, and it helps to ask friends when wondering which photos to put in your Facebook or Bebo profile.
Another idea is to have a photo session with friends so that everyone has fresh images to choose from.
Kimmel also believes that one way to ensure you don`t regret how you present yourself to the virtual world is to ask what you would think if you saw them again two years from now.
"It doesn`t have to be the classic CV photo," says Kimmel, although she does admit that a potential new boss could cast an eye over your profile.
On the other hand, if you are a person who happily wears sports jackets and a side parting, then a skater-look profile isn`t exactly necessary in order to look cool, unless you count it among your hobbies.
Favourite pastime details also don`t need to be altered in order to create an improved image.
If you aren`t the type of person who gets a thrill from the World of Warcraft computer game then you are probably better off admitting it from the start, says Kimmel.
Someone can happily write that they love to play World of Warcraft "because I am interested in adventure and fantasy stories" as when filling out an internet profile Kimmel points out that it`s important to remember that it is all about "identity management."
"Who am I and what sort of image am I looking to present to world?" is the question a person has to ask themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok