Why YouTube videos take forever to buffer
Wellington: The amount of time taken for a video to buffer on YouTube or other video services is an outcome of how much networks should pay to connect to others as a result of peering connections.
According to a website, technology website Ars Technica argues that business decisions involving `peering` agreements that internet companies make to pass traffic from one to another guide the way videos and services are provided.
The report said that the negotiations are over caching services that store videos closer to people`s homes so they can load faster in one`s browser and when internet providers refuse to upgrade peering connections by the likes of Google and Netflix, traffic gets congested.
There exist a dozen or so networks consisting of data centres throughout the world which are operated by private businesses and they can reach every part of the internet by simply peering with one another.
However, these networks called Tier 1 don`t need to buy ` transit`- an arrangement where one company pays another to accept its traffic and distribute it to all networks connected to the internet.
The report added that the direction in which traffic flows has no impact on how much it costs to carry it and as video streaming traffic dominates the web, so-called `eyeball` networks (ISPs who deliver traffic over the last mile) can never be in balance with the networks that deliver video under the old measurement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks