Wikipedia eases editing restrictions on controversial pages
London: Wikipedia says it has taken an ‘important step’ towards making easier the editing of some its most controversial articles - the online encyclopaedia is now relaxing editing restrictions on up to 2,000 divisive articles.
Users will now be able to submit changes to the selected pages which will then be reviewed by senior editors.
The move is a part of Wikipedia`s ongoing efforts to check vandalism of the site.
Wikipedia`s founder Jimmy Wales said the new system, called "pending changes" will allow the site "to open up articles for general editing that have been protected or semi-protected for years," reports The BBC.
He continued: "These have had to be semi-protected for years just because they are too tempting for naughty people to try something funny.
"But semi-protection has prevented thoughtful and sincere newcomers from making good changes."
During the two-month trial, Wikipedia users will notice a small magnifying glass, in place of a padlock, on included articles.
A new tab has been introduced to reflect articles that have changes pending.
In a blog post, Wikipedia said: "The icon, on the upper right corner of the article, represents an important step that Wikipedia volunteers have taken to open up articles that were previously protected from editing.
>"At present, only about 0.1% of the 3.3 million articles on the English Wikipedia are under edit protection.
"This tool should help reduce disruptive edits or errors to these pages while maintaining open, collaborative editing from anyone who wants to contribute."
Anyone can see proposed edits by clicking on the "pending changes" tab, alongside the "edit" and "history" tabs on a Wikipedia entry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai