Wikipedia launches new travel site
San Francisco: Wikimedia Foundation, the creators of Wikipedia, on Tuesday rolled out a free online travel guide, Wikivoyage.Org, dedicated to providing free information on destinations, itineraries, phrasebooks and maps.
The travel guide debuts with 50,000 articles in more than half a dozen languages.
"There`s a huge global demand for travel information, but very few sources are both comprehensive and non-commercial," Wikimedia Foundation executive director Sue Gardner said in a release. "That`s about to change."
The site originally launched as Wikitravel in 2006 and supported by a German non-profit association by the same name, joined the Wikimedia family in October 2012 and has been in beta since November.
"The purpose of the Wikivoyage Association is to promote education and knowledge of all countries and regions in the world, as well as understanding among nations," said association board chairman Stefan Fussan.
"We`re very excited about the launch of Wikivoyage as a Wikimedia project."
Wikivoyage content is written by travelers, for travelers, in native languages, according to project administrator Peter Fitzgerald.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued