Wikipedia to add voice samples of famous people on site
Washington: Wikipedia has reportedly announced that it would soon be adding voice samples of popular personalities on their respective biographies on the site.
The online encyclopedia, under its new project ` ` (WikiVip), aims to catalogue the voices of the world`s famous people immortalized with their own pages.
The non-profit foundation responsible for Wikipedia, Wikimedia`s blog stated that the idea behind the WikiVip project is to let readers know what they sound like and how to correctly pronounce their names.
According to the report, the site had added short sound files to its service, offering proper pronunciation of subject`s name, but the new project is the first time the online encyclopedia would bring in original voice samples for its Wikipedia biographies.
When the voice samples are added, users would be able to locate the WikiVip clips at the bottom of the Infobox on each Wikipedia page.
The site is also proactively seeking out voice samples through other programs such as the BBC Voice Project, which for the first time has openly licensed content from its broadcast archives.
The report said that the133 out of BBC`s 300 samples include those of notable people such as the inventor of the World Wide Web Tim Berners-Lee, Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch, author John Updike, and Myanmar politician and Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family