Wikipedia to add voice samples of famous people on site
Washington: Wikipedia has reportedly announced that it would soon be adding voice samples of popular personalities on their respective biographies on the site.
The online encyclopedia, under its new project ` ` (WikiVip), aims to catalogue the voices of the world`s famous people immortalized with their own pages.
The non-profit foundation responsible for Wikipedia, Wikimedia`s blog stated that the idea behind the WikiVip project is to let readers know what they sound like and how to correctly pronounce their names.
According to the report, the site had added short sound files to its service, offering proper pronunciation of subject`s name, but the new project is the first time the online encyclopedia would bring in original voice samples for its Wikipedia biographies.
When the voice samples are added, users would be able to locate the WikiVip clips at the bottom of the Infobox on each Wikipedia page.
The site is also proactively seeking out voice samples through other programs such as the BBC Voice Project, which for the first time has openly licensed content from its broadcast archives.
The report said that the133 out of BBC`s 300 samples include those of notable people such as the inventor of the World Wide Web Tim Berners-Lee, Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch, author John Updike, and Myanmar politician and Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America