Windows 7 to salvage Vista `train wreck`
San Francisco: Microsoft releases Windows 7 to the world as the US software giant tries to regain its stride after an embarrassing stumble with the previous generation operating system Vista.
"It`s a big deal for Microsoft," analyst Rob Enderle of Enderle Group in Silicon Valley said of the Windows 7 launch. "Windows Vista was a train wreck."
While computer users may not give much thought to operating systems that serve as the brains of their machines, the programs are at the heart of Microsoft`s global software empire.
Microsoft operating systems run more than 90 percent of the computers on Earth.
Importantly for Microsoft, versions of its popular programs such as Office, Outlook and Excel evolve to work better with successive Windows releases.
Winning users of new Windows systems translates into increased sales of other packaged software for the Redmond, Washington-based company.
Vista`s dismal reception in the market broke Microsoft`s rhythm regarding hooking people on upgraded software.
Computer users held firm to Windows XP, shunning much-maligned Vista.
"Microsoft is still a packaged software company," Enderle said. "If people don`t buy their updated packages, they feel it."
Microsoft apparently learned a lesson from Vista and worked closely with computer makers, users and software developers while crafting Windows 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk
- Italy rescues around 1,100 migrants in Mediterranean
- Usain Bolt was poor, eating beef helped him win nine medals in Olympics: BJP MP Udit Raj