World to have 3 billion Internet users by year end: UN
United Nations: The world will have nearly three billion Internet users by the end of 2014, with two-thirds of them from the developing world, and mobile-cellular subscriptions will reach almost seven billion by the year end, new figures released by the UN said.
The report by the UN`s International Telecommunications Union (ITU) said 44 per cent of the world`s households will have internet access by end of 2014.
Close to one-third (31 per cent) of households in developing countries will be connected to the Internet, compared with 78 per cent in developed countries.
The analysis shows that household Internet access is approaching saturation levels in developed countries.
Mobile-cellular subscriptions will reach almost 7 billion by end-2014, and 3.6 billion of these will be in the Asia-Pacific region.
The increase is mostly due to growth in the developing world where mobile-cellular subscriptions will account for 78 per cent of the world`s total.
"The newly released ICT (information and communications technology) figures confirm once again that information and communication technologies continue to be the key drivers of the information society," ITU Secretary-General Hamadoun Toure said.
Brahima Sanou, the Director of ITU`s Telecommunication Development Bureau, said the new figures are a watershed moment in the world`s growing affinity for ICT.
"Behind these numbers and statistics are real human stories. The stories of people whose lives have improved thanks to ICTs," Sanou said, adding "our mission is to bring ICTs into the hands of ordinary people, wherever they live. By measuring the information society, we can track progress, or identify gaps, towards achieving socio-economic development for all".
The ITU report said Internet users are expected to hit three billion by the end of 2014, which accounts for about 40 per cent of the world`s population.
Among those users, over three quarters are from developed countries while two-thirds come from the developing world.
In Africa, about one-fifth of the population will have access to the Internet while in the Americas, nearly two-thirds of the population will be online by the year end.
Europe has the highest internet penetration rate of 75 per cent, while the Asia-Pacific region has the largest population of Internet users.
Turning to mobile-broadband penetration, the number of its subscriptions will reach 2.3 billion globally and 55 per cent of them are expected to be in the developing world.
Mobile-broadband remains the fastest growing market segment, with continuous double-digit growth rates in 2014.
Even as the worldwide growth trend of these ICTs continues, fixed-telephone penetration, however, lags behind.
According to ITU, fixed-telephone users have been declining for the last five years.
In addition, there will be about 100 million fewer subscriptions than in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of BJP govt: PM Modi to address rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check