WSJ accuses Facebook of exposing teens to `questionable ads`
Washington: The Wall Street Journal has reportedly pointed out that social networking giant Facebook is exposing teens to `questionable ads.`
The ads, including dating apps, extend into firearms and webcam territory with children as young as 13 able to see a gun holster for using a concealed weapon, parts for AK-47s, and solicitations to become nude webcam models.
According to CBS News, the Journal`s business editor, Dennis Berman, said that the advertising services were automated, adding that any one of a million advertisers on Facebook could essentially reach those teens in whichever manner they choose and the system doesn`t have the controls.
Responding to the Journal`s report, Facebook released a statement saying that the company was disappointed that the Wall Street Journal decided to run an entire story focused on cherry-picked number of ads on Facebook, many of which had been already removed due to violation of policies.
The social networking giant further defended itself by saying that the paper chose to omit the interviews they conducted with a number of marketers commending our ad review policies and that it removes those ads, which are found to be offensive or not in compliance with the policies .
To this, Berman said that the question for Facebook is how it wants to evaluate things that come onto its system, and in a lot of situations they didn`t even know the ads that were on its own site.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam