Yahoo bolsters local search with Zofari app
New York: Yahoo said Tuesday it was bolstering its local search capabilities by absorbing the team from the smartphone recommendation app Zofari.
"Zofari and Yahoo share a common goal to make the world an easier place to explore for as many people as possible," California-based Yahoo said in an email.
"We`re thrilled to welcome the team to Yahoo, where they will join our growing search organization and continue to build amazing discovery experiences."
Yahoo is not acquiring the company but is integrating the team from Zofari to improve local search in the face of services from Google, Yelp and others.
A statement on the Zofari website said that "our team is joining Yahoo, where we will continue to build amazing discovery experiences at a scale we`ve only dreamed of" and that the Zofari app would still be available.
Zofari describes itself as a "Pandora for Places," in reference to the online radio group that creates customized music lists.
"Using your favorite restaurants, bars and neighborhoods, we create customized stations that show you the most similar places around you," according to the Zofari site.
"Your stations will update whenever you change locations, revealing awesome hidden gems and making discovering new places as easy as exploring your hometown."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Poll defeat triggers infighting in Congress? Now, Satyavrat Chaturvedi attacks Digvijaya Singh
- READ: Virender Sehwag's important message to parents, students after CBSE class 12 results
- Hangul, the rare Kashmir deer, may soon go extinct
- Twitter war: Verbal duel between Smriti Irani and Congress' Priyanka Chaturvedi - Know what happened
- WATCH: DD vs RCB highlights - Virat Kohli steals show with match-winning knock