Yahoo bolsters local search with Zofari app
New York: Yahoo said Tuesday it was bolstering its local search capabilities by absorbing the team from the smartphone recommendation app Zofari.
"Zofari and Yahoo share a common goal to make the world an easier place to explore for as many people as possible," California-based Yahoo said in an email.
"We`re thrilled to welcome the team to Yahoo, where they will join our growing search organization and continue to build amazing discovery experiences."
Yahoo is not acquiring the company but is integrating the team from Zofari to improve local search in the face of services from Google, Yelp and others.
A statement on the Zofari website said that "our team is joining Yahoo, where we will continue to build amazing discovery experiences at a scale we`ve only dreamed of" and that the Zofari app would still be available.
Zofari describes itself as a "Pandora for Places," in reference to the online radio group that creates customized music lists.
"Using your favorite restaurants, bars and neighborhoods, we create customized stations that show you the most similar places around you," according to the Zofari site.
"Your stations will update whenever you change locations, revealing awesome hidden gems and making discovering new places as easy as exploring your hometown."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'