Yahoo buys back shares from hedge fund
New York: Yahoo! said today it agreed to buy back 40 million shares from a hedge fund which sought a shakeup of the Internet giant last year.
The company said it agreed to buy the shares from Third Point LLC, led by activist investor Daniel Loeb, at Friday`s closing price of USD 29.11 per share.
After the transaction Third Point will hold some 20 million shares, or less than two percent of Yahoo!`s outstanding common stock.
Yahoo! shares have nearly doubled over the past year since Marissa Mayer took over as chief executive.
The company also said that Loeb and two of his associates, Harry Wilson, and Michael Wolf, have submitted their resignations from Yahoo!`s board, effective July 31.
The board will then have seven members including Max Levchin, who was appointed as a director upon mutual agreement between Third Point and the board.
"Daniel Loeb had the vision to see Yahoo! for its immense potential, the potential to return to greatness as a company and the potential to deliver significant shareholder value," said Mayer.
"On behalf of the board and our entire team, I`d like to take this opportunity to personally thank Dan, Michael, and Harry for the tremendous opportunities they created here at Yahoo!"
Third Point boosted its stake last year and sought changes in management after Scott Thompson was named chief executive.
Thompson resigned after acknowledging an error in his resume, which wrongly indicated that he had a degree in computer science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM