Yahoo buys back shares from hedge fund
New York: Yahoo! said today it agreed to buy back 40 million shares from a hedge fund which sought a shakeup of the Internet giant last year.
The company said it agreed to buy the shares from Third Point LLC, led by activist investor Daniel Loeb, at Friday`s closing price of USD 29.11 per share.
After the transaction Third Point will hold some 20 million shares, or less than two percent of Yahoo!`s outstanding common stock.
Yahoo! shares have nearly doubled over the past year since Marissa Mayer took over as chief executive.
The company also said that Loeb and two of his associates, Harry Wilson, and Michael Wolf, have submitted their resignations from Yahoo!`s board, effective July 31.
The board will then have seven members including Max Levchin, who was appointed as a director upon mutual agreement between Third Point and the board.
"Daniel Loeb had the vision to see Yahoo! for its immense potential, the potential to return to greatness as a company and the potential to deliver significant shareholder value," said Mayer.
"On behalf of the board and our entire team, I`d like to take this opportunity to personally thank Dan, Michael, and Harry for the tremendous opportunities they created here at Yahoo!"
Third Point boosted its stake last year and sought changes in management after Scott Thompson was named chief executive.
Thompson resigned after acknowledging an error in his resume, which wrongly indicated that he had a degree in computer science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested