Yahoo! buys iPhone app designed to locate restaurants
Johannesburg: Embattled Internet search firm Yahoo! has acquired the start-up behind an iPhone application, which lets people know if nearby venues are like places that suit their tastes.
Yahoo purchased Alike, which will work with the faded Internet pioneer`s teams in San Francisco.
Yahoo confirmed the takeover in an email, but did not disclose the details of the deal.
According to the report, Alike said it would no longer support its iPhone and Web browser applications that tap into the power of machine learning to recommend restaurants, cafes and more based on places users have shown they enjoy.
"We believe that distilled information, deeply personalised and made accessible any time and anywhere, is what makes mobile experiences a part of our customers` daily lives," the firm said in a blog post.
"In Yahoo! we`ve found a team as excited about this vision as we are, and who are serious about making it real," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan