Yahoo! buys iPhone app designed to locate restaurants
Johannesburg: Embattled Internet search firm Yahoo! has acquired the start-up behind an iPhone application, which lets people know if nearby venues are like places that suit their tastes.
Yahoo purchased Alike, which will work with the faded Internet pioneer`s teams in San Francisco.
Yahoo confirmed the takeover in an email, but did not disclose the details of the deal.
According to the report, Alike said it would no longer support its iPhone and Web browser applications that tap into the power of machine learning to recommend restaurants, cafes and more based on places users have shown they enjoy.
"We believe that distilled information, deeply personalised and made accessible any time and anywhere, is what makes mobile experiences a part of our customers` daily lives," the firm said in a blog post.
"In Yahoo! we`ve found a team as excited about this vision as we are, and who are serious about making it real," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you