Yahoo! buys iPhone app designed to locate restaurants
Johannesburg: Embattled Internet search firm Yahoo! has acquired the start-up behind an iPhone application, which lets people know if nearby venues are like places that suit their tastes.
Yahoo purchased Alike, which will work with the faded Internet pioneer`s teams in San Francisco.
Yahoo confirmed the takeover in an email, but did not disclose the details of the deal.
According to the report, Alike said it would no longer support its iPhone and Web browser applications that tap into the power of machine learning to recommend restaurants, cafes and more based on places users have shown they enjoy.
"We believe that distilled information, deeply personalised and made accessible any time and anywhere, is what makes mobile experiences a part of our customers` daily lives," the firm said in a blog post.
"In Yahoo! we`ve found a team as excited about this vision as we are, and who are serious about making it real," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred