Yahoo! buys iPhone app designed to locate restaurants
Johannesburg: Embattled Internet search firm Yahoo! has acquired the start-up behind an iPhone application, which lets people know if nearby venues are like places that suit their tastes.
Yahoo purchased Alike, which will work with the faded Internet pioneer`s teams in San Francisco.
Yahoo confirmed the takeover in an email, but did not disclose the details of the deal.
According to the report, Alike said it would no longer support its iPhone and Web browser applications that tap into the power of machine learning to recommend restaurants, cafes and more based on places users have shown they enjoy.
"We believe that distilled information, deeply personalised and made accessible any time and anywhere, is what makes mobile experiences a part of our customers` daily lives," the firm said in a blog post.
"In Yahoo! we`ve found a team as excited about this vision as we are, and who are serious about making it real," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part II
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?- Part III
- India is 35th member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- GST Bill: World knows which party is running away from debate in Parliament, says PM Modi
- Watch: Salman Khan's 'Sultan' title track packs quite a punch!
- Three candidates interviewed for SBI's MD post
- Awards are an inspiration to work harder: Amaal Mallik
- Former Real Madrid Galactico Michel Salgado signs for the Premier Futsal league