Yahoo files lawsuit against FB; says 10 patents violated
New York: Beleaguered Internet firm Yahoo! has sued social networking major Facebook, alleging violations of as many as ten patents including those related to online advertising and personal privacy.
Marking the escalation of patent disputes in the fast growing social media sector, Yahoo!`s salvo comes at a time when Facebook is preparing for a mammoth initial share sale.
Legal fights over alleged patent infringements are common in the technology space as reflected in the instances involving giants such as Apple, Samsung, HTC, Motorola and Microsoft.
Asserting that the patents relate to "cutting edge innovations", Yahoo! in the lawsuit has even claimed that Facebook`s entire social networking model is based on its technology.
"Facebook`s entire social network model, which allows users to create profiles for and connect with, among other things, persons and businesses, is based on Yahoo!`s patented social networking technology," according to the lawsuit filed with a Federal Court in California yesterday.
Yahoo!`s lawsuit also comes close on the heels of Scott Thompson taking over the reins of the Internet entity, grappling with severe competition from Facebook and many other online players.
"For much of the technology upon which Facebook is based, Yahoo! got there first and was therefore granted patents by the US Patent Office to protect those innovations," the lawsuit noted.
The Internet firm has pointed out that the patents relate to cutting edge innovations in online products including messaging, news feed generation, social commenting, advertising display and privacy controls.
These innovations dramatically improve user experience, privacy and security and enhance the ability of advertisers to connect with users, it added.
"Yahoo! is harmed by Facebook`s use of Yahoo!`s patented technologies in a way that cannot be compensated for by payment of a royalty alone.
"Facebook`s use of Yahoo!`s patented technologies has increased Facebook`s revenue and market share because it does not have to recover the costs of time involved in the development of the technology," the lawsuit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview