Yahoo Inc overhauls its email service
New Delhi: Yahoo Inc unveiled new changes on Tuesday in a bid to make its email service faster and easier to use.
Also targeting the ever-expanding number of people using smartphones and tablets, it has rolled out mobile apps for Apple’s iPhone, iPad and other devices powered by Microsoft’s Windows 8 system.
The company, which is based in Sunnyvale, Calif., also updated its email app designed for Google Inc.`s Android operating system.
The email overhaul is part of Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer`s crusade to give people more reasons to visit the company`s online services and stick around longer. In doing so, Mayer hopes to sell more advertising and accelerate Yahoo`s revenue growth after years of financial malaise. The stagnation has kept the company`s stock price below $20 for more than four years. Yahoo shares were hovering near $30 before the company squandered an opportunity to sell itself to Microsoft for $33 per share in May 2008.
Yahoo`s stock rose 9 cents to close at $19.52 on Tuesday. The stock has surged 25 percent since Yahoo hired Mayer from Google nearly five months ago.
During her 13 years as a top Google executive, Mayer played a key role in building the company`s Gmail. The service was a novelty when it began in 2004 and with Mayer`s help it transformed into a trend-setting service that surpassed the early leads of rival offerings from Yahoo and Microsoft.
Through October, Gmail had more than 295 million active users to eclipse Microsoft`s Hotmail at nearly 284 million users and Yahoo email at 282 million, according to the most recent data from the research firm comScore. At the same time last year, Hotmail led the pack with 335 million users, followed by Yahoo at 303 million and Gmail at more than 245 million.
With more people gravitating to Gmail, Microsoft also recently redesigned Hotmail and rebranded the service as Outlook.com - a reference to the communications channel built into the software maker`s widely used Office suite of programs.
In a sign Google isn`t taking its lead for granted, the company is the in process of phasing in changes to Gmail that will give it a slightly different look and add more features.
All the retooling underscores the ongoing importance of traditional email, even as people increasingly rely on text messages sent on phones and thoughts shared on Facebook and Twitter. Despite its shrinking market share, Yahoo says it still processes about 30 billion emails each day and estimates its users collectively check their inboxes about 190 million times per day.
Although none of the major email providers charge to set up an account on the Web, the services are valuable because they encourage repeat visits and require people to log in. Internet companies covet activities occurring under a logged-in identity because they can more easily track people`s preferences and tailor ads more likely to appeal to users` tastes.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains grip on Mumbai, BJP dominates other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway