Yahoo! India’s most searched personalities in 2012 list
New Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal topped the list of newsmakers, while adult film star Sunny Leone was the most searched celebrity online in 2012 in India, a report by search giant Yahoo! today said.
According to Yahoo! India’s Year in Review 2012 (YIR), Arvind Kejriwal was the most searched newsmaker this year, knocking off mentor Anna Hazare from the position.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was next in line, followed by Malala Yousafzai (an education activist from Pakistan), Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and Robert Vadra.
"YIR combines search trends with the editorial selection of what users read, recommended and shared most on the Yahoo! network in India during 2012. It offers a glimpse into the social trends, compelling newsmakers and top stories of 2012," Yahoo! said in a statement.
It is clear while looking at the top trends that scams and controversies, with a large dose of Bollywood gossip, captured the attention of the user in 2012, it added.
Indo-Canadian adult movie star Sunny Leone became the most searched celebrity online during 2012, ahead of many of Bollywood`s leading ladies, thanks to her controversial entry into Bollywood with Big Boss 5 and Jism 2.
However, in terms of celebrities making news, it was Aishwarya Rai`s post pregnancy weight gain that put her ahead of Leone in the `Celebrity in the News` list for 2012. Others in the list included Poonam Pandey, `Saifeena` (Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor) and Sherlyn Chopra.
The Indian `Brangelina` -- Saifeena -- were also the most sought after celebrity couple in 2012 as netizens searched on the latest information on where the couple would get married, their trousseau and the guest list.
Superstar Amitabh Bachchan and Sonam Kapoor topped the list of `Best Dressed Celebrities`, while queen of small screen Ekta Kapoor topped this year`s `Worst Dressed` list, with Mallika Sherawat tailing her at a close second.
Virat Kohli was the most searched cricketer, ahead of Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Kevin Pietersen and Sachin Tendulkar.
YIR selected Olympics Bronze medalist boxer Mary Kom as Yahoo! India`s `Person of the Year` following her performance at the London Games 2012.
IPhone 5 dominated the list of Top Tech Stories for 2012, followed by Google glass, Facebook IPO and its purchase of Instagram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP