Yahoo! India’s most searched personalities in 2012 list
New Delhi: Arvind Kejriwal topped the list of newsmakers, while adult film star Sunny Leone was the most searched celebrity online in 2012 in India, a report by search giant Yahoo! today said.
According to Yahoo! India’s Year in Review 2012 (YIR), Arvind Kejriwal was the most searched newsmaker this year, knocking off mentor Anna Hazare from the position.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was next in line, followed by Malala Yousafzai (an education activist from Pakistan), Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and Robert Vadra.
"YIR combines search trends with the editorial selection of what users read, recommended and shared most on the Yahoo! network in India during 2012. It offers a glimpse into the social trends, compelling newsmakers and top stories of 2012," Yahoo! said in a statement.
It is clear while looking at the top trends that scams and controversies, with a large dose of Bollywood gossip, captured the attention of the user in 2012, it added.
Indo-Canadian adult movie star Sunny Leone became the most searched celebrity online during 2012, ahead of many of Bollywood`s leading ladies, thanks to her controversial entry into Bollywood with Big Boss 5 and Jism 2.
However, in terms of celebrities making news, it was Aishwarya Rai`s post pregnancy weight gain that put her ahead of Leone in the `Celebrity in the News` list for 2012. Others in the list included Poonam Pandey, `Saifeena` (Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor) and Sherlyn Chopra.
The Indian `Brangelina` -- Saifeena -- were also the most sought after celebrity couple in 2012 as netizens searched on the latest information on where the couple would get married, their trousseau and the guest list.
Superstar Amitabh Bachchan and Sonam Kapoor topped the list of `Best Dressed Celebrities`, while queen of small screen Ekta Kapoor topped this year`s `Worst Dressed` list, with Mallika Sherawat tailing her at a close second.
Virat Kohli was the most searched cricketer, ahead of Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman, Kevin Pietersen and Sachin Tendulkar.
YIR selected Olympics Bronze medalist boxer Mary Kom as Yahoo! India`s `Person of the Year` following her performance at the London Games 2012.
IPhone 5 dominated the list of Top Tech Stories for 2012, followed by Google glass, Facebook IPO and its purchase of Instagram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs