Yahoo to decide ad charges based on social media influence
London: Internet corporation Yahoo has filed a patent to make ad charges based social reputation of viewers measured in terms of their social media presence.
The patent would help advertisers bid against each other to target users based on the level of authority amongst their peers scored on terms of their social media influence, reports BBC.
According to the report, the number of followers of the user on social media, reference to them in the posts, number of contacts of the users, products they `like`, subscriptions and their suggestions to other users etc., a viewer`s social influence can be measured.
While industry consultants find it a creative practice for marketers to use a multiplier effect to influence how brands are perceived to ideally lead to sales, privacy campaigners find it to be another way of collecting data in order to sell advertising.
Director of Big Brother Watch, Nick Pickles, said that users are viewed as products to be monitored, packaged and sold to the highest bidders and hence there is an immediate need to have a stronger consumer privacy protection, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH