Yahoo! to launch new search engine in India by 2011
Hyderabad: Leading internet company Yahoo! is all set to unveil its latest search offering `Search Direct` in India by the second half of this calendar, said a top official of Yahoo! in Hyderabad said on Wednesday.
Prabhakar Raghavan, Yahoo!`s chief scientist, senior vice-president and head (Yahoo! Labs) said the Nasdaq-listed digital media company has already rolled out the public beta version of Search Direct in the US last week.
"The new search engine predicts search results as fast as a person types character by character, and presents those results dynamically, generating a fast, simple search experience that goes beyond mere blue links," Raghavan told media persons here.
He said it (Search Direct) follows a theme, a theme that the company has been e pursuing ever since they forged a search alliance with Microsoft.
"The idea is to provide the user not with links but with answers. We expect Search Direct, a combination of completing what you were trying to type and fulfill your vertical-search intents including entertainment and shopping, which we launching in the US recently. We will be doing that in India in a few months from now," he said.
Yahoo!, which currently employs around 2,000 professional at its Bangalore Lab has a massive reach of 30 million unique users per month in India and reaches to 74 percent of the Indian Internet audience.
According to Raghavan, the company has been growing in double-digit numbers in India in terms of employees and was looking at continuing that growth this year as well.
He said over the last four years, the Bangalore centre has yielded a 50 per cent average year-on-year increase in idea submissions for patent consideration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price