Yahoo wants FISA objections revealed
Wellington: Internet Corporation Yahoo has reportedly asked the US surveillance court to allow it publishing files related to its fight against the alleged `snoop-op` Prism in 2008 led by the NSA.
According to a website, Yahoo`s revelation of the files would demonstrate the company`s `strenuous objection` to the demands made by US government for furnishing user data and also help the public understand how surveillance programs are approved under federal law.
Legal experts said that if Yahoo succeeds in publishing some of the court files, it would be a historic development and an important step towards throwing light on the revealed NSA led Prism Program.
Alex Abdo, an American Civil Liberties Union attorney, said that it is the first time one of the internet companies is making an argument in favour of transparency in the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court.
The report said that in a bid to convince the public that the internet companies didn`t just invite the government to peruse customer files or give authorities broad access to users` email, internet chats and other online activities, many of the internet companies including Yahoo are appealing in the FISA court to reveal the court proceeding details.
Google and Microsoft have also challenged secrecy rules by filing lawsuits seeking permission to reveal, how many requests for information they have received under national security programs.
Mark Rumold, an attorney who has worked on surveillance court issues said that when a company gets presented with an order it doesn`t think is constitutional and the government says that they have this secret court opinion that it is constitutional then the company is in a limbo.
FISA had rejected Yahoo`s appeal five years ago to declassify the fact that Yahoo was part of the companies in the ` snoop-op` case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued