Yahoo`s latest `buying spree` acquisition is FB browser developer RockMelt
Washington: Internet Corporation Yahoo, continuing with its acquisition spree has reportedly bought a US start-up that built a web browser tied to Facebook`s social media network.
According to CBS News, CEO Marissa Mayer acquired RockMelt for a price estimated to be above 40 million dollars as the start-up has raised that much money from venture capitalists and other investors since its inception.
The report said that the start-up company had launched its Facebook-focused web browser in late 2010 which never gained traction and so it later introduced a version for smartphones and tablets.
Since Mayer was appointed as the company`s CEO, she has been on an acquisition spree in a bid to direct more traffic to the site with smaller start-ups with an exception of Tumblr, acquired for more than a billion dollars.
RockMelt has as its financial backer Web browser Marc Andreessen, who has established himself as one of Silicon Valley`s top venture capitalists since first making his mark as a co-founder of Netscape Communications, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics