Yahoo`s latest `buying spree` acquisition is FB browser developer RockMelt
Washington: Internet Corporation Yahoo, continuing with its acquisition spree has reportedly bought a US start-up that built a web browser tied to Facebook`s social media network.
According to CBS News, CEO Marissa Mayer acquired RockMelt for a price estimated to be above 40 million dollars as the start-up has raised that much money from venture capitalists and other investors since its inception.
The report said that the start-up company had launched its Facebook-focused web browser in late 2010 which never gained traction and so it later introduced a version for smartphones and tablets.
Since Mayer was appointed as the company`s CEO, she has been on an acquisition spree in a bid to direct more traffic to the site with smaller start-ups with an exception of Tumblr, acquired for more than a billion dollars.
RockMelt has as its financial backer Web browser Marc Andreessen, who has established himself as one of Silicon Valley`s top venture capitalists since first making his mark as a co-founder of Netscape Communications, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!