Yahoo`s latest `buying spree` acquisition is FB browser developer RockMelt
Washington: Internet Corporation Yahoo, continuing with its acquisition spree has reportedly bought a US start-up that built a web browser tied to Facebook`s social media network.
According to CBS News, CEO Marissa Mayer acquired RockMelt for a price estimated to be above 40 million dollars as the start-up has raised that much money from venture capitalists and other investors since its inception.
The report said that the start-up company had launched its Facebook-focused web browser in late 2010 which never gained traction and so it later introduced a version for smartphones and tablets.
Since Mayer was appointed as the company`s CEO, she has been on an acquisition spree in a bid to direct more traffic to the site with smaller start-ups with an exception of Tumblr, acquired for more than a billion dollars.
RockMelt has as its financial backer Web browser Marc Andreessen, who has established himself as one of Silicon Valley`s top venture capitalists since first making his mark as a co-founder of Netscape Communications, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter