YouTube moves to keep undesirable comments away from site
Washington: YouTube has decided to refine the comments that are posted under videos in a bid to curb offensive posting and hurtful commenting on the online video site.
YouTube said that conversations happening under the videos and shown as `recent` do not necessarily mean they are `relevant`. The company has thus decided to provide new tools to help video creators moderate conversations under their posts.
The site will require users to integrate their current accounts to a Google+ account in order to comment on YouTube videos, CNN reports.
Other than the integration, YouTube is taking steps to automatically show relevant comments on the top, for example, if the maker of the video has posted a comment on the video, it will be highlighted and placed on the top.
YouTube product manager, Nundu Janakiram said that the site was moving from comments to actual conversations.
The new system will allow users to customize the conversations as private, so that only a select few can discuss about a particular video apart from added filters, which will help users to allow comments from only selected and approved users and can make a blacklist of words they don`t want to show up in the video`s comments section.
However, in order to protect identities of certain YouTube users, such as political dissidents around the world, Google will not force them to post under their real names and anyone can choose to continue posting under their current YouTube handle.
The report said that YouTube will begin testing the commenting system on channel discussion page this week and those who prefer the current system, there is an option to view all comments in chronological order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees