YouTube moves to keep undesirable comments away from site
Washington: YouTube has decided to refine the comments that are posted under videos in a bid to curb offensive posting and hurtful commenting on the online video site.
YouTube said that conversations happening under the videos and shown as `recent` do not necessarily mean they are `relevant`. The company has thus decided to provide new tools to help video creators moderate conversations under their posts.
The site will require users to integrate their current accounts to a Google+ account in order to comment on YouTube videos, CNN reports.
Other than the integration, YouTube is taking steps to automatically show relevant comments on the top, for example, if the maker of the video has posted a comment on the video, it will be highlighted and placed on the top.
YouTube product manager, Nundu Janakiram said that the site was moving from comments to actual conversations.
The new system will allow users to customize the conversations as private, so that only a select few can discuss about a particular video apart from added filters, which will help users to allow comments from only selected and approved users and can make a blacklist of words they don`t want to show up in the video`s comments section.
However, in order to protect identities of certain YouTube users, such as political dissidents around the world, Google will not force them to post under their real names and anyone can choose to continue posting under their current YouTube handle.
The report said that YouTube will begin testing the commenting system on channel discussion page this week and those who prefer the current system, there is an option to view all comments in chronological order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened