109 Brus return to Mizoram from Tripura
Aizawl: At least 109 Brus including 31 children, belonging to 24 families returned to Mizoram on their own voluntarily from the relief camps in neighbouring North Tripura district as the sixth phase of repatriation began on Tuesday.
Joint Secretary in Mizoram Home department Lalbiakzama told PTI that 20 families reported at Kanhmun facilitation centre while four families arrived at the Zomuantlang centre.
The families, after being identified as bona fide residents of Mizoram were brought to their respective villages and were resettled in eight villages in the Mizoram-Tripura-Bangladesh border Mamit district, Lalbiakzama said.
The repatriated Brus were given thorough medical check-up by doctors at the facilitation centres and were given 20 kg of rice per person before being brought to their respective villages.
There were reports that some families willing to return to Mizoram were physically obstructed by anti-repatriation elements at the relief camps from returning and the Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Kanchanpur Sub-Division in North Tripura went to the relief camps to verify the reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore