11 dead in landslide, work on to dig out bodies in Mizoram
Aizawl: The death toll in the landslide which hit Laipuitlang area here has risen to 11 with the recovery of one more body from the debris.
Three more bodies have been sighted and the rescue team is engaged in extricating them, while search is on for three others feared to be trapped, Superintendent of Police(Traffic) Lallianmawia, who is supervising the rescue work, said.
Heavy rainfall is affecting the pace of the rescue work, he said. Young Mizo Association (YMA) is assisting the police.
Lallianmawia said the body which was extricated last night was identified to be that of Zakir Hussein of Karimganj in Assam.
The landslide, that took place in the early hours yesterday, had swept away nine houses in north Aizawl killing eight and leaving about 11 untraced.
YMA vice-president Zohmingliana said the three more bodies which were sighted were trapped under a beam, which was being cut by the rescue workers.
A PWD office building, which had been vacated about a year ago after a crack developed on it, collapsed under the impact of the landslide and fell on nine houses below killing the victims, opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) said.
MNF has demanded the resignation of Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, who holds the Public Works Department (PWD) portfolio and his younger brother Lal Thanzara, Parliamentary Secretary for PWD owning responsibility.
"The negligence of PWD officials led to the disaster and Lal Thanhawla and his younger brother should step down owning responsibility to the incident," the MNF youth front in a statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’