114 militants surrender in Manipur
Imphal: Over 110 militants belonging to different banned outfits on Wednesday laid down arms and surrendered before Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh unconditionally to join the mainstream and to promote peace in the state.
The 114 militants also handed over several arms, including AK 47 rifles, different guns, carbines and pistols to Singh at a simple homecoming ceremony here attended by state Home Minister Gaikhangam, Director General of Police Y Joy Kumar and others, said an official statement issued by Assam Rifles.
Speaking on the occasion, the CM lauded the bold step taken by the militants to shun violence and to join the path of peace and prosperity.
Appreciating the critical role of the Assam Rifles in encouraging misguided youth to join the mainstream thereby promoting peace in the area, Singh said peace and freedom from crime and terrorism are the catalysts for bringing all round development in the region.
Some of the family members of the surrendered militants also appealed to the government to help them rehabilitate properly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority