12-hour Dimapur bandh affects life
Kohima: Barring some minor incidents of violence, normal life came to a standstill in Dimapur, the commercial hub of Nagaland, following a 12-hour bandh called by the Nagaland Foothill Road Coordination Committee (NFHRCC) on Monday.
Some minor scuffle and stone pelting between volunteers of NFHRCC and some anti-bandh groups occurred at Chumukedima and 5th Mile and some other areas in the town during the initial hour of the bandh which began at 6 AM, Dimapur Additional Superintendent of Police, Wati Ao said.
Police had to fire tear gas at 5th Mile and Chumukedima areas to disperse two clashing groups, Ao said.
"The situation was brought under control by afternoon," he said.
All business establishments, educational institutions and privates offices remained closed, while attendance in government offices was also poor because of the bandh, official source said.
The bandh has been called by the NFHRCC as its meeting with the Cabinet Sub-Committee (CSC) on Foothill Road Construction of the state government failed to arrive at a workable solution during a meeting held in Kohima on Saturday.
NFHRCC has expressed dissatisfaction with the Public Welfare Department (Road and Bridges) for altering its stand every now and then on the contract works for the foothill roads, NFHRCC convener Supu Jamir said.
The NFHRCC defied the state government order issued through the Deputy Commissioner Dimapur disallowing the bandh. The DC has also promulgated 144 CrPC prohibiting assembly of five or more persons from 5AM to 7PM in Dimapur district.
The bandh will end at 6PM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo