12,000 cases pending in Meghalaya lower courts
Shillong: About 12,000 cases, both civil and
criminal, are pending in the subordinate courts of Meghalaya.
According to Meghalaya State Legal Services Authority
(MSLSA) member secretary W Diengdoh, about 1600 cases are
pending in the Gauhati High Court Shillong Bench alone.
The MSLSA has decided to initiate efforts of disposing of
pending cases right from the high court to the lower court by
introducing the free legal aid and mediation and conciliation
schemes in consonance with the provisions of the Legal
Services Authorities Act, 1978, to ensure that equal justice
is made available to the poor, downtrodden and weaker sections
of the society, Diengdoh told reporters here yesterday.
The MSLSA, in order to reduce the backlog of cases, has set
up a Forum of Mediation and Conciliation Project Committee
The committee included a panel of 12 persons comprising
advocates and retired judicial officers of the state in which
they are entrusted to concise cases related to disputes
between parties litigating through settlement, he said.
Any party can visit the mediation clinic at the office of
the MSLSA where the mediators will look and examine into their
matter and suitable suggestion and action would be taken.
A total of 6873 cases have been disposed in the state out
of the 49 Lok Adalats conducted during the year from 1993 to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof