12,000 cases pending in Meghalaya lower courts
Shillong: About 12,000 cases, both civil and
criminal, are pending in the subordinate courts of Meghalaya.
According to Meghalaya State Legal Services Authority
(MSLSA) member secretary W Diengdoh, about 1600 cases are
pending in the Gauhati High Court Shillong Bench alone.
The MSLSA has decided to initiate efforts of disposing of
pending cases right from the high court to the lower court by
introducing the free legal aid and mediation and conciliation
schemes in consonance with the provisions of the Legal
Services Authorities Act, 1978, to ensure that equal justice
is made available to the poor, downtrodden and weaker sections
of the society, Diengdoh told reporters here yesterday.
The MSLSA, in order to reduce the backlog of cases, has set
up a Forum of Mediation and Conciliation Project Committee
The committee included a panel of 12 persons comprising
advocates and retired judicial officers of the state in which
they are entrusted to concise cases related to disputes
between parties litigating through settlement, he said.
Any party can visit the mediation clinic at the office of
the MSLSA where the mediators will look and examine into their
matter and suitable suggestion and action would be taken.
A total of 6873 cases have been disposed in the state out
of the 49 Lok Adalats conducted during the year from 1993 to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata