15 injured as protestors and police clash
Nalbari (Assam): At least 15 people,
including two police officers, were today injured when a group
of people protesting the death of a PWD employee turned
violent, ransacking shops and pelting stones following which
police fired in the air and used batons to quell them.
Police said about 1000 people took out a procession
through this town in lower Assam with the body of the Public
Works Department (PWD) employee Rafiq Ahmed, who was stabbed
to death last evening.
On the way, the processionists turned violent destroying
country liquor shops and small tea kiosks in protest against
When the police tried to control the mob, they started
pelting stones police at them and injuring the Officer
in-charge of Nalbari police station Kamal Singh and traffic
police incharge Rejak Ali.
Both were later admitted to hospital, police said.
Soon, local peoople in the area near the Civil
Hospital came out to attack the processionists in retaliation.
Police then fired over 100 rounds in the air to
disperse the mob and used batons. About 13 people were injured
in the baton charge.
Police said the situation was tense but under control
in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly