15 women candidates win Assam polls
Guwahati: The number of women MLAs in the
126-member 13th Assam assembly will be 15, two more than in
the outgoing House, with five of them making it to the House
for the first time.
The ruling Congress, winning 78 seats in the just
concluded polls, will have the highest number of 12 women
legislators while its alliance partner Bodoland Peoples` Front
(BPF) has two and AIUDF one representative respectively.
Seven sitting MLAs, five from the ruling Congress and
two from its ally BPF, have retained their seats and this
includes Deputy Speaker Pranati Phukan from Naharkatiya, PWD
Minister Ajanta Neog from Golaghat and Agriculture Minister
Pramila Rani Brahma from Kokrajhar (East).
Four of the 13 sitting MLAs in the last legislature
failed to retain their seats. They are Congress`s Dr
Malaya Barman from Pathacharkuchi and Uttara Kalita along with
AGP`s Alaka Desai Sarma from Nalbari and Sushila Hazarika from
The other women sitting MLAs to return are Jibontara
Ghatowar (Moran), Jonjonali Baruah (Morigaon) and Sumitra
Patir (Dhemaji-ST)--all from the Congress along with BPF`s
Kamali Basumatary (Panery).
Rumi Nath from Barkhola retained her seat for the
ruling party which she had won as a BJP candidate in 2006.
She had joined BJP after being expelled from Congress.
Among the five new entrants, four are from the ruling
Congress and one from AIUDF, which has won a total of 18 seats
in the just concluded polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened