150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda celebrated
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh joined the rest of India in celebrating Swami Vivekanand`s 150th birth centenary with a massive programme in the state capital here that began with processions by school students early morning.
Colourful cultural programme by students drew applause, particularly Itanagar VKV team by its song in 11 major languages reflecting the richness of state`s cultural mosaic.
The gathering included people from all walks of life including Ramakrishna Mission secretary Swami Vishweshananda.
"When India is groping around in the dark with humanity put to shame and trying to find its way, is there a way out? Yes, there is. By following the ideals of great saint Swami Vivekananda in letter and spirit," said state Chief Minister Nabam Tuki in his address to the gathering at the Indira Gandhi Park.
Celebrating 150th birth anniversary of Swamiji would enliven history as world would be reminded of his vision for an end to violence and fanaticism. His message of the 18th century is as timely and befitting in the 20th century, as it was then, about 119 years ago, he emphatically said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list