18-hr strike from midnight tonight in Manipur
Imphal: An 18-hour general strike has been called by two major social organisations from midnight tonight in Manipur demanding immediate safe release of a kidnapped person by suspected Naga militants.
In a joint statement here, United Committee Manipur and All Manipur United Clubs Organisation also urged the state government to initiate steps to trace whereabouts of one Irungbam Irabanta who was abducted from a place near his house at Nongren area in Imphal East district on May 27 last for a huge ransom.
Some other social organisations supported the strike.
Representatives of major social organisations have met the state Home Minister Gaikhangam on August 18 and 24 on the abduction issue.
Official sources said security measures were tightened to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH