18-hr strike from midnight tonight in Manipur
Imphal: An 18-hour general strike has been called by two major social organisations from midnight tonight in Manipur demanding immediate safe release of a kidnapped person by suspected Naga militants.
In a joint statement here, United Committee Manipur and All Manipur United Clubs Organisation also urged the state government to initiate steps to trace whereabouts of one Irungbam Irabanta who was abducted from a place near his house at Nongren area in Imphal East district on May 27 last for a huge ransom.
Some other social organisations supported the strike.
Representatives of major social organisations have met the state Home Minister Gaikhangam on August 18 and 24 on the abduction issue.
Official sources said security measures were tightened to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Union Minister Kumar flays Digvijay Singh for supporting Amnesty
- BJP asks Kashmiri youths to defeat designs of separatists
- SAD seeks defence academy in Anandpur Sahib
- Probe ordered into killing of snake charmer in Madhya Pradesh
- Maharashtra govt to write to PM for CBI probe into disappearance of tiger