18-hr strike from midnight tonight in Manipur
Imphal: An 18-hour general strike has been called by two major social organisations from midnight tonight in Manipur demanding immediate safe release of a kidnapped person by suspected Naga militants.
In a joint statement here, United Committee Manipur and All Manipur United Clubs Organisation also urged the state government to initiate steps to trace whereabouts of one Irungbam Irabanta who was abducted from a place near his house at Nongren area in Imphal East district on May 27 last for a huge ransom.
Some other social organisations supported the strike.
Representatives of major social organisations have met the state Home Minister Gaikhangam on August 18 and 24 on the abduction issue.
Official sources said security measures were tightened to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days