18-hr strike from midnight tonight in Manipur
Imphal: An 18-hour general strike has been called by two major social organisations from midnight tonight in Manipur demanding immediate safe release of a kidnapped person by suspected Naga militants.
In a joint statement here, United Committee Manipur and All Manipur United Clubs Organisation also urged the state government to initiate steps to trace whereabouts of one Irungbam Irabanta who was abducted from a place near his house at Nongren area in Imphal East district on May 27 last for a huge ransom.
Some other social organisations supported the strike.
Representatives of major social organisations have met the state Home Minister Gaikhangam on August 18 and 24 on the abduction issue.
Official sources said security measures were tightened to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed