18-hr strike from midnight tonight in Manipur
Imphal: An 18-hour general strike has been called by two major social organisations from midnight tonight in Manipur demanding immediate safe release of a kidnapped person by suspected Naga militants.
In a joint statement here, United Committee Manipur and All Manipur United Clubs Organisation also urged the state government to initiate steps to trace whereabouts of one Irungbam Irabanta who was abducted from a place near his house at Nongren area in Imphal East district on May 27 last for a huge ransom.
Some other social organisations supported the strike.
Representatives of major social organisations have met the state Home Minister Gaikhangam on August 18 and 24 on the abduction issue.
Official sources said security measures were tightened to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!