197 militants surrender in Manipur
Imphal: One hundred and ninety-seven militants surrendered to Manipur government on Wednesday along with 138 weapons, an official spokesman said.
Principal secretary (Home) Suresh Babu said the militants belonged to United Revolutionary Front, Kangleipak Communist Party (Lamphel faction) and Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (Military Defence Force).
The weapons laid down before Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh and other top police and security officials included rifles, pistols and other sophisticated weapons.
Welcoming the militants, Chief Minister Ibobi Singh said the government would initiate peace talks with these militant outfits to enable other militants to lay down arms.
He said the government would rehabilitate these militants and as a first step, each of them would be given Rs 4000 per month for a period of two years from today.
The chief minister said the government would give Rs 2.50 lakh after a period of two years during which period they will be given vocational training so that they can begin a new life.
He said the government was happy that these militants had realised the necessity of joining the mainstream after adopting a `wrong path` and appealed to other militants to follow their example.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof