20 seats to witness straight contest in Nagaland polls
Kohima: One third of the Assembly constituencies in Nagaland, which is going to the polls on February 23, will witness a straight contest.
Nagaland has 60 Assembly constituencies and in 20 constituencies there will be a straight contest between only two candidates.
Even for the rest 40 seats there are 148 candidates as there are a total of 188 candidates in the electoral fray for the 60 member Nagaland Assembly.
The maximum number of candidates contesting from a constituency are six. Both Sanis and Bhandari Assembly constituencies under Wokha district have six candidates each.
While in other constituencies there are less then six candidates in the electoral fray.
The Assembly constituency which has the largest number of electorate is Ghanpani- I which has 58,269 voters, while the constituency with the minimum number of voters is Mokokchung town with 5,788 people in the electoral rolls.
The assembly constituency which has the largest area is Tenning under Peren district.
A total of around 2600 Electronic voting machines EVMs will be used in the February 23 state Assembly polls and the state has 11,93,438 electorate out of which male accounts for 6,03,933 while the rest 5,89,505 are female.
Nagaland will go to poll on February 23 while campaigning in all forms will come to an end this evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 'Quality health care must for India'
- Bombay HC allows women to enter inner sanctum of Haji Ali Dargah; activists hail 'momentous' verdict
- Pakistan's Sami Aslam reveals why he always recalls these words from Sachin Tendulkar's retirement speech
- Subramanian Swamy fires fresh salvo at Raghuram Rajan, claims he has no degree in economics
- Dwayne Bravo all set to make singing debut in Bollywood! - Details inside