20 seats to witness straight contest in Nagaland polls
Kohima: One third of the Assembly constituencies in Nagaland, which is going to the polls on February 23, will witness a straight contest.
Nagaland has 60 Assembly constituencies and in 20 constituencies there will be a straight contest between only two candidates.
Even for the rest 40 seats there are 148 candidates as there are a total of 188 candidates in the electoral fray for the 60 member Nagaland Assembly.
The maximum number of candidates contesting from a constituency are six. Both Sanis and Bhandari Assembly constituencies under Wokha district have six candidates each.
While in other constituencies there are less then six candidates in the electoral fray.
The Assembly constituency which has the largest number of electorate is Ghanpani- I which has 58,269 voters, while the constituency with the minimum number of voters is Mokokchung town with 5,788 people in the electoral rolls.
The assembly constituency which has the largest area is Tenning under Peren district.
A total of around 2600 Electronic voting machines EVMs will be used in the February 23 state Assembly polls and the state has 11,93,438 electorate out of which male accounts for 6,03,933 while the rest 5,89,505 are female.
Nagaland will go to poll on February 23 while campaigning in all forms will come to an end this evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre