20 seats to witness straight contest in Nagaland polls
Kohima: One third of the Assembly constituencies in Nagaland, which is going to the polls on February 23, will witness a straight contest.
Nagaland has 60 Assembly constituencies and in 20 constituencies there will be a straight contest between only two candidates.
Even for the rest 40 seats there are 148 candidates as there are a total of 188 candidates in the electoral fray for the 60 member Nagaland Assembly.
The maximum number of candidates contesting from a constituency are six. Both Sanis and Bhandari Assembly constituencies under Wokha district have six candidates each.
While in other constituencies there are less then six candidates in the electoral fray.
The Assembly constituency which has the largest number of electorate is Ghanpani- I which has 58,269 voters, while the constituency with the minimum number of voters is Mokokchung town with 5,788 people in the electoral rolls.
The assembly constituency which has the largest area is Tenning under Peren district.
A total of around 2600 Electronic voting machines EVMs will be used in the February 23 state Assembly polls and the state has 11,93,438 electorate out of which male accounts for 6,03,933 while the rest 5,89,505 are female.
Nagaland will go to poll on February 23 while campaigning in all forms will come to an end this evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls