20 seats to witness straight contest in Nagaland polls
Kohima: One third of the Assembly constituencies in Nagaland, which is going to the polls on February 23, will witness a straight contest.
Nagaland has 60 Assembly constituencies and in 20 constituencies there will be a straight contest between only two candidates.
Even for the rest 40 seats there are 148 candidates as there are a total of 188 candidates in the electoral fray for the 60 member Nagaland Assembly.
The maximum number of candidates contesting from a constituency are six. Both Sanis and Bhandari Assembly constituencies under Wokha district have six candidates each.
While in other constituencies there are less than six candidates in the electoral fray.
The Assembly constituency which has the largest number of electorate is Ghanpani- I which has 58,269 voters, while the constituency with the minimum number of voters is Mokokchung town with 5,788 people in the electoral rolls.
The Assembly constituency which has the largest area is Tenning under Peren district.
A total of around 2600 Electronic voting machines EVMs will be used in the February 23 state Assembly polls and the state has 11,93,438 electorate out of which male accounts for 6,03,933 while the rest 5,89,505 are female.
Nagaland will go to poll on February 23 while campaigning in all forms will come to an end this evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'