204 Brow-antlered deer found in Manipur
Imphal: The number of the endangered brow-antlered deer stands at 204 in its lone habitat in Manipur`s Keibul Lamjao National Park in Bishenpur district as per the latest census.
State Forest Minister Th. Debendra said this in the Assembly in reply to a question from Congress member S Bira.
Locally known as `Sangai`, the animal is found only at the Keibul Lamjao National Park.
The minister said that to protect the animnal, fodder plants were cultivated at their natural habitat in abundance while local volunteers engaged to assist the forest department staff in the job.
Two check posts were set up to prevent poaching last year. A campaign was also on to create awareness among the inhabitants around the park to protect the endangered species.
The minister said that the census was conducted in March, this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur