204 Brow-antlered deer found in Manipur
Imphal: The number of the endangered brow-antlered deer stands at 204 in its lone habitat in Manipur`s Keibul Lamjao National Park in Bishenpur district as per the latest census.
State Forest Minister Th. Debendra said this in the Assembly in reply to a question from Congress member S Bira.
Locally known as `Sangai`, the animal is found only at the Keibul Lamjao National Park.
The minister said that to protect the animnal, fodder plants were cultivated at their natural habitat in abundance while local volunteers engaged to assist the forest department staff in the job.
Two check posts were set up to prevent poaching last year. A campaign was also on to create awareness among the inhabitants around the park to protect the endangered species.
The minister said that the census was conducted in March, this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH