23 houses set ablaze in Karimganj
Karimganj: At least 23 houses and three
road-side restaurants were set ablaze by an angry mob
demanding rescue of a kidnapped college boy and two others in
Assam`s Karimganj district, official sources said on Friday.
There was no report of any injury or casualty, the
Prohibitory orders under Section 144 Cr P C have been
imposed in the area.
A 5000-strong mob set the house of suspected kidnapper
Salimuddin afire at Bhanga between Badarpur and Karimganj town
last evening, official sources said.
The mob then torched 22 other neighbouring houses,
three dhabas (road-side eateries) and a wine shop, the sources
The arsonists were accusing the district
administration of failing to maintain law and order leading to
kidnapping of three persons in the last one week in Karimganj.
The mob was also angry over the alleged failure and
negligence of the administration to take action against
rampant sale of both country and India Made Foreign Liquor
(IMFL) and gambling leading to break down of law and order and
increase in crimes, the sources said.
Karimganj College B.A. third year student Aharar Ahmed
was kidnapped five days ago from Karimganj but he was yet to
be traced due to police inaction, people said.
Demanding immediate rescue of the three abducted,
a bandh was also called by the local people today between
Badarpur and Karimganj affecting normal life.
District Deputy Commissioner Jatin Borgiary told PTI
that there was no breakdown of law and order in the district
and that the situation in the arson-hit area was under
Five persons, including four women, had also been
picked up for interrogation in connection with last evening`s
violent incidents, Borgiary added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual don't come under third gender; give reservation to transgenders: SC to Centre
- Novak Djokovic calls for football-style Davis Cup to keep tournament alive
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Jacqueline Fernandez impersonating Lisa Haydon will make you ROFL-- Watch
- Cold war between Bollywood buddies Salman Khan and Sanjay Dutt - All you need to know
- German Bakery blast: Maharashtra govt challenges verdict commuting death penalty of Himayat Baig