24-hour bandh hits normal life in Itanagar
Itanagar: Normal life was affected in the
state capital on Friday following a 24-hour bandh to protest
against the Arunachal Pradesh government`s alleged failure to
take steps against some national dailies publishing derogatory
remarks against the Nyishi community.
The bandh called by the Nyishi Youth Welfare
Association (NYWA) which began at 5 am in the state capital
was peaceful, police said.
While educational institutions and non-governmental
organizations remained closed, attendance in government
offices was thin.
Though private and commercial vehicles remained off the
road, a few state transport buses were seen plying with
However, the bandh was partial in some parts of the
capital as several markets remained open after traders`
organizations decided to defy the bandh call.
The state government has declared the bandh as
illegal and made elaborate security arrangements to thwart
any untoward incidents during the bandh.
Earlier, the NYWA called a 12-hour state capital
bandh on December 12 after expiry of its ten-day ultimatum to
the government to intervene to secure an apology from the
concerned newspapers after two national dailies published
a derogatory remark against the Nyishi community on May 4.
The report evoked strong reactions in the state that
witnessed a series of bandh calls and violence in the recent
past which even claimed a life on October 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know