247 candidates in fray for Arunachal municipal elections
Itanagar: Altogether 247 candidates are in the fray for Itanagar Municipal elections slated for May 16.
In all 169 candidates from Itanagar and 77 from Naharlagun, including a lone candidate from Polo Colony seat, have staked their luck for 30 councillor seats with yesterday being the last date of filing papers, State Election Commission (SEC) sources informed here today.
Nominations for the post of 12 councillors for Pasighat municipality are yet to be received and compiled, sources added.
Arunachal Pradesh is the only state in the country where no municipality exists so far.
The filing of papers for election to the 17 zila parishads, 177 anchal samitis and 7,403 gram Panchayat seats in the three-tier Panchayati Raj Institution (PRI) also ended yesterday.
However, the number of candidates who filed their papers till yesterday are yet to be ascertained, sources said.
No nominations for 16 gram Panchayats and two anchal samity seats were filed at Upper Siang district as the people of Singa-Gelling CD block of Tuting sub-division in the district have decided to boycott the Panchayat elections in protest against the state government`s decision to bifurcate the block and incorporate areas in two different anchal samities, sources said.
The SEC which issued notification on April 16, has fixed tomorrow as the date for scrutiny of papers while the last date of withdrawal of nominations is April 29 next.
Counting of votes will take place on May 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad