29,000 duplicate voters in Arunachal electoral roll: CEO
Itanagar: Election Commission of India (ECI) has detected over 29,000 duplicate voters in the state electoral roll and has already deleted 5,000 names, Arunachal Pradesh Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Chandra Bhushan Kumar said on Monday.
"The list of duplicate electors have been sent to all district election officers for physical verification through Booth level officers (BLOs) and directed for subsequent deletion from the electoral rolls," Kumar told a press conference.
He said ECI has already developed a software to check errors in the electoral roll.
Kumar informed that the special summary revision of photo electoral roll with reference to January 1 next year as qualifying date would be launched in the state tomorrow.
He also said the objective of the revision was to create an error-free electoral roll with Lok Sabha election and assembly election in the state due in May and September next year.
"Sixty electoral registration officers (EROs) under the supervision of 16 district election officers (DEOs) will carry the revision in the state in 2,159 polling stations, including 48 new stations, manned by booth level officers (BLOs)," the CEO said.
Arunachal Pradesh has 7,40,968 voters including 13,996 electorates in the age group of 18-19 years. The total percentage of electoral photo identity card (EPIC) coverage in the state is 99.48 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway