3 districts flooded in Arunachal, CM sounds red alert
Itanagar: Incessant rains in the past few days have caused flood in at least three districts of Arunachal Pradesh, with Chief Minister Nabam Tuki sounding a red alert across the state.
Expressing concern over reports of floods in districts of Lower Dibang Valley, Changlang and the worst affected Lohit, Tuki asked the district administrations to take appropriate steps to mitigate the sufferings of the people.
The chief minister, who is now in Delhi, directed constitution of disaster management and mitigation cells in the districts to monitor the situation and launch rescue and relief operations, official sources said today.
Lohit district, which had witnessed unprecedented monsoon in July, is experiencing heavy rains again for the last four days putting normal life out of gear and cutting off its headquarters Tezu from the rest of the country.
The road between Tezu and Anjaw has been heavily damaged at four places and restoration works were disrupted due to the continuous downpour, the sources said.
Road link between Tezu and Tinsukia in Assam via Parsuram Kund and Alubari too remained cut off since Tuesday.
The water level of all major rivers -- Lohit, Kamlang, Noa Dehing -- and their tributaries are in spate.
Water has entered many houses at Alubari including that of the local MLA and a school. Water is reportedly flowing above the embankment at Dharampur.
The BRO has reported landslides in three locations between Tohangam to the Brahmkund-Parsuram route while supply of water and electricity was disrupted.
As the water of Balijan inundated Sunpura, affected people have been shifted to safer places, sources said, adding, loss of livestock and crops was also reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof