30 nabbed in Shillong for running extortion gates
Shillong: 30 people were arrested and
18 illegal toll gates dismantled as the Meghalaya government
launched a massive crackdown on extortion activities along the
The Meghalaya government has adopted a zero tolerance
policy on the collection of toll, taxes and fees illegally by
individuals or groups, deputy commissioner of East Garo Hills
Pravin Bakshi told today.
Official sources said the Deputy Commissioners and
Superintendents of Police in the seven districts of the state
had been fully empowered and asked to strictly enforce the
writ of law on the highways and initiate prompt action if
complaints are received.
He said there are 13 check/toll gates functional which
are authorized. Last year, 12 illegal gates were dismantled.
Over the last few days, we have removed 18 such gates
and as many as 14 cases registered at various police
stations, the deputy commissioner said.
Thirty people have been arrested so far for running such
illegal gates, he said.
Truckers in Meghalaya have been complaining against
extortion on highways and even moved Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram seeking a CBI probe into the menace.
They alleged that men armed with AK-47 rifles were
manning around 29 illegal check gates along the highways in
Meghalaya and extorting over Rs 6,000 per truck per trip.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!