36-hour general strike affects life in Manipur hil
Imphal: Normal life was affected in all five hill districts of Manipur as a 36-hour general strike by a hill-based committee began here early Monday morning to press its demand for separate `Kukiland` by reorganising the state.
Official reports said markets, shops, business setups and educational institutions remained closed in most parts of the hills, particularly Kuki-settled areas of Senapati, Ukhrul, Tamenglong, Churachandpur and Chandel districts.
The strike called by the Kuki State Demand Committee (KSDC) started at 5 AM in the morning.
Transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were also cancelled as the two major national highways Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati (39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar pass through Kuki-settled areas, sources said.
The buses have also stopped plying between Imphal and hill district headquarters, they added.
A spokesman of the KSDC said after the 36-hour general strike they would impose indefinite economic blockade on all routes in the state, including the two national highways, till the central and state government initiated steps for holding talks with the KSDC.
He said the central government had earlier informed the KSDC in writing to hold talks with it some months ago but they had remained silent over the issue saying that the state government was reluctant to hold talks.
Further agitations programme would be decided during the indefinite economic blockade, KSDC sources said, adding that goods would not be allowed to be transported to the district headquarters from Imphal during the blockade.
Various civil organisations including All Manipur Students Union and state government have strongly objected to Manipur`s division saying they would not allow it at any cost.
Official sources said other alternative ways were being looked into to solve the problem of KSDC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'